As you are aware, our Prime Minister has proposed the Emergencies Act which must first be passed in Parliament and then through the Senate.
As a Canadian citizen, I implore you NOT to pass this Act. Why?
1) Section 2 (c) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the freedom of “peaceful assembly.”  It is one of the fundamental freedoms protected in the Charter.
2) The Emergency Act is meant to protect the “safety and security of the individual, the protection of the values of the body politic and the preservation of the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the state are fundamental obligations of government; AND WHEREAS the fulfilment of those obligations in Canada may be seriously threatened by a national emergency.”
The truckers are not preventing the government from getting on with the business of governing. No Ottawa citizen or member of Parliament are being “seriously threatened.” The truckers are protecting the values and freedoms of Canadian citizens that are slowly being eroded, and preserving their rights of bodily autonomy and medical sovereignty. The truckers’ peaceful protest does not meet the threshold for a “national emergency” as defined in the Act.
3) These hard-working Freedom Convoy Truckers—the ones who deliver our food and other goods day in and day out – have been peaceful, respectful and law-abiding. They are not violent nor have they destroyed property. On the contrary, they have cleared the streets of snow and garbage, and crime in the City of Ottawa has plummeted since their arrival.
4) As per the request of the Ottawa police, the Convoy has left a lane open for emergency vehicles. They have stopped the honking of horns.
5) Theirs is a simple, common sense request at the 2-year mark of this “pandemic”—stop all COVID restrictions which have negatively impacted our children, our economy, our health and our society; restrictions which have been shown to have little, if any, impact on “flattening the curve”.
6) The pandemic is over. Omicron creates mild symptoms. It’s time to resume normal life once again without fear.
7) Our hospitals are not overwhelmed.
8) These patriotic men and women have left their homes and family for a cause that is held dearly by ALL Canadians. They have inspired a nationwide and international movement in the drive for freedom. All national and global attention sits squarely on Canada at this historical moment in time. Where will each of you take your seat in history.
Many countries, states and jurisdictions have lifted all COVID restrictions. Canada is lagging behind the world.
There is no need to escalate what is currently a civil, peaceful, legal protest (albeit with vehicles illegally parked and ticketed). There is a practical political solution. It just needs adequate time and patience to unfold. Please allow it to come to its logical conclusion rather than creating yet another stain on our Canadian history by passing the Emergencies Act. Do not pass the Emergencies Act.
I look forward to hearing from you.